Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Who asked for the cold weather?!?

Fall is definitely in the air!  Did we even have a summer, though?  Oh well.  Maybe next year!  I actually secretly like the fall season.  I don't so much like the cold (I *am* a desert girl, after all) but I love the way the trees turn from green to gold and red.  They don't really do that in the Tri-Cities.  They turn something more like green to dead there.  I like to be snuggled under a blanket with the cats fighting over who gets my lap.
I like what the holiday season means for my family, too.  I've agreed (and even helped plan!) a trip to the scary corn maze for later this week.  I'm going to freak out and wet my pants.  Hopefully this won't make me jumpy for months (OKAY, years) to come.  Dad's birthday is in the middle of November and that usually marks one of my last trips back to the Tri-Cities before the winter.  This year I'm even going to get to see Michele and Pam who will be in town from Boston!  Kristen and I are going to head back for that, so that'll be super fun.  Because she works on Saturdays it's rare that we get to take weekend trips together unless one of us takes a vacation day.  About a week later mom will be back for Thanksgiving and our 3rd annual Black Friday shopping trip!  I never thought that going out shopping all night would be fun, but I realize now that the people that you go with make all of the difference in the world!
In December we rent a Suburban, fill it full of luggage, gifts, 4 adults and one chalabsky (Jeff and Matt's dog, Leo) and head back to the TC for Christmas with the Fam!  It's nice to be able to get all of us back there to celebrate.  January brings about the annual trip to Leavenworth and snow sledding fun.  And look at that?  Before you know it we are into the new year.  I'm actually excited for January because we're planning to go to some of the women's soccer qualifying games for the London Olympics that are being played in Vancouver BC this year!
On the baby front, I wish that I could say that no news is good news, but it's really just "no news".  There have been some exciting developments as far as our friends go, though.  I don't know if I talked about Warren and Chris having adopted in August (I think) and our adoption support group buddies Kristin and Tim adopted about two weeks ago!  This is very cool for both couples and just helps to remind me that this is actually happening.  There is a lesbian couple in planning right now and I'm excited for them, too.  Other than that it's just back to waiting patiently and having faith that this will happen when it's meant to be.  We're going through and updating our autobiographies and dear birthparent letter now and plan to make a video for the website in a couple of weeks, I think.  Kristen and I just put together the crib last night so the room is starting to really come together now.  I think that one of the last things for us to get is the mattress and then we're pretty much done with the nursery!  We're waiting to get any sort of bedding because we really want that part of it to be gender specific.  We've got a lot of gender neutral clothing and blankets and stuff but I think that both of us are ready to fill the nursery with pinks and purples or blues and oranges now.
Oh, by the way, Babies R Us is CRAZY on the weekends.  That's just an FYI from me to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment